Thursday, April 5, 2007

Back to Painting

I took some time off from painting while my show in Tulsa was up, and then did some drawing for a few days, but am now back to the paint. There were several paintings that didn't make my cut for the show due to a lack of space and, well, some of them were either incomplete or had developed issues I didn't have the time to deal with. It is a good exercise to try to get a crazy painting back under control - unlike carving a woodblock, there is no limit to how much paint one can put on the surface. At least with woodcut, at some point you will have carved away the entire surface.

Once I finish these unfinished ones, I think the next series might be almost black and white. Not entirely, but at least very high contrast in values, with less emphasis on color. I just have a sense of wanting to step back a little and focus on the linear structure.

Today was my 46th birthday and I painted for a little while after supper, and had good phone visits with my aunt and sister and nephews.

2 comments:

Alyson B. Stanfield said...

Aw, happy belated birthday. You share a day with two very important people from my past. For some reason, there are so many Aries who are part of my life.

Betty C. Bowen said...

Thanks Alyson, I think this is going to be an excellent year.