Friday, April 13, 2007

It was a nice suprise to find this article this morning, especially after This One yesterday! It is fun to check my web stat counter and see how varied and international these site's readerships are. It is amazing to think that people in China and Poland spent five minutes looking at my work.

Last night I had a long visit with an artist friend in eastern Washington. She and I had both been in the same gallery for many years. This gallery had never once sent me a piece of mail, or even called me when they sold something. They sold nearly everything of mine they ever had, and I will always wonder how much more art we could have moved if they had tried a little harder - or if I'd known to come rotate work! The last straw for me was when they broke a large chunk out of a very hard flat wood frame. Rather than contact me to replace the frame, they filled it in with magic marker! They assured me they had continued to show it (like that was a good thing).

Yesterday she received all the work the gallery had. She'd asked for her older stuff back, but they had dumped years of work in boxes and sent it off. We talked about how our experience with this gallery had probably made us feel like nobody wanted to see or live with our art. We let them affect our own attitude about our own work. So, a long hard lesson learned. Now that she is in a geographic area with even fewer galleries than here, I might put a page on my own website for her. People need a chance to see her work, and after working in a near vacuum for decades, she needs to have her work seen.

No comments: