Friday, May 25, 2007

end of the year

I only have a couple of days with my current students before I turn them over to whatever summer means to them. For some it is holidays in nice places, for some it means endless hours at computer games, and for others it means untold abuse and/or no hot meals until their nasty but free school lunches start again. It always astonishes me that they suddenly want to start projects now, three school days before the end. It kills me to say no, but I must. whatever variety of prayers you make, make them for public school teachers now. Whatever the news says about us, our hears are breaking right now.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

You deserve a big big hug for your work as a teacher. I've spent several hours every week in my daughter's classroom since the beginning of the school year and I'm so afraid for a few of the kids in her class.

Teachers have such an incredibly challenging job and such a responsibility for the children and our future.

There will be some computer time for my daughter this year, but also lots of clay. I'm going to start teaching her how to throw on the wheel.