Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Campus Visit

Today another teacher and I took a former student to visit Oklahoma City University. I graduated there in 1983, and although I have fond memories of my time there, I seldom have reason to go back. It was a real walk down memory lane in some ways, but what really struck me was the quality and scale of the improvements the school has made. But this wasn't about me, after all. I was very impressed by the personalized attention they gave our prospective student, particularly Coach Reynolds who took a moment from his day to come out and shake her hand and mention her high school coach by name, and gave her more information about what she should do to prepare (she's just a junior) those things really made an impression on us all. We decided later that he seemed genuinely excited about starting a women's wrestling program - he didn't sound like somebody who was being pressured into it by the administration. In short, he made us think he would take good care of our girl.

The students who spoke to us and gave the tour were very professional, friendly, and were great examples of what a close community the school is. The improvements to the physical plant were overwhelming, good grief, the Meinders School of Business building was incredible (and it is shaped like an "M").

So, after the tour we went back to "Alvin's cafe" for some coffee, Tif bought the Coach a thank you card, and we headed home.

No comments: