Sunday, June 17, 2007

printing on clay

I am a printmaker, not a potter, but have occasionally considered the possibilities of using my carved woodblocks to press into clay (after they have been editioned of course).

Just in the past week I have been thinking about it more, probably thanks to potter Cynthia Guajardo writing about the subject on her blog . No doubt she will come up with some lovely things for her etsy shop, so I'll be keeping track of her experiments and progress.

Then, on the always fun design blog Decor8, I read about the potter Nathan William and his collection that is impressed with vintage Indian woodblocks, then layers of glazes. The effect is very mysterious and textile-like. This Terracotta Sugar Jar is an example of his work from his Esty shop hijackedceramics.

I'm thinking more along the lines of using my old woodblocks to make my own mosaic tiles, something simple like that. I start week 2 of Art Camp tomorrow, and we'll start off with clay and paper mache (because it is raining daily, and that way things will have all week to dry!), so maybe I'll try something out. If so, I'll put up a picture.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Doh, I thought I posted a comment on your blog already. Thanks for the shout Betty! I've noticed Hijacked's ceramic work before and wish I could see it in person. Looks interesting.

Enjoy your summer teaching.